Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thing #13 - Social Bookmarking

I have been hearing about Del.icio.us for several years, but had not tried it. The social aspect is very interesting and goes along with the idea of the "circle of the wise" that we read about earlier. I liked the user comments on some web sites. It would probably be more useful on education sites; I had the feeling that businesses may post their own complimentary comments in order to attract customers.

As I add people to my network, it will be very interesting to see if their links are helpful when I am building links for classes doing research. It will also be very convenient to have all my bookmarks in one place. Now I just have to decide which of my bookmarks at school that I want to add! Since librarians already categorize information, the idea of tags is very useful for us. This is another tool for helping students find relevant web sites on any topic.

I had a little trouble adding the browser buttons, but their help page walked me through most of it. I didn't realize I had to respond to their email before the buttons would be added.

Furl was not working on the day I did this assignment, but I will check back with it later. I like Ma.gnolia's clean look. When I did a search for "library 2.0" I found a number of other libraries also doing this exercise. At this point, I will stick with Del.icio.us because it will be easier to find others to network with.

No comments: