Monday, January 28, 2008

Thing #19 - Go With the Flow

I am glad to find these sites because I have seen some awesome mind maps on some of the sites we have been exploring. I wondered how they were created! I looked at all the sites and Gliffy and MindMeister were the only ones that sent me a confirmation email quickly. Gliffy seems easier to use than Inspiration because of the ability to drag and resize easily. Also, it has several groupings of images to use. I have been wanting to re-arrange my living room, so I created a floor plan. I'm going to add new elements and move some of the furniture around virtually. I could probably send the link to my sister, who is much better at visualizing than I am, and she could improve it in no time!

One of the things I liked about MindMeister is that you can put ideas down on a page without having to worry about the box formatting. I created a mind map of our student aides' shelving assignments. When I printed it, it was off the page, so I had to change the page setup to make it fit. I see it mainly as useful for planning, probably not to create anything for a class. They also have good tutorials on the help page. Flowchart.com never did send me an invitation, even though I requested it twice.

As with all of the Web 2.0 sites, the ability to share your ideas and files with others is central. Sharing the editing of documents will really assist any group project.

2 comments:

Comapping said...

Also worth looking at is www.comapping.com which is specifically designed for collaborative mind mapping.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the mention and review of Gliffy. We appreciate that you gave us a try. The collaboration piece is great for colleagues to give each other tips on changing their lesson plan or getting advice on how to handle a tough issue. Thanks for mentioning it! Best,
debik at gliffy dot com